Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Blogspot, in command of the legion Scythica.

I made Joe a card for Valentine's Day and gave it to him thinking 2/14 was Friday and it would be a nice surprise two days early. Oops.

In anycase, inspired by a Citibank commercial, the card was a Chinese papercut of two identical dragons holding a heart mounted on white paper.

To make sure that I had the technical skill to execute a complex pattern, I decided to make a basic version for practice using printer paper and a paring knife. While the initial product proved that the project was doable, a certain quality was missing--quality, which can only be bought at a store for roughly six dollars (paper, glue, exacto-knife).

After taking notes for me while I slept through a lecture about imperial Rome, Myra accompanied me to Utrect Art Supplies. Sadly, the store only sold crafting paper (100 grams per square meter) in large sheets--sheets that do not comfortably fit in my bag. I was meeting Joe later that night, and it would be suspicious to walk around with reams of red and white paper sticking out. So, in the five minutes before Endocrinology started, I carved the sheet into roughly 8x11 pieces with vulgar slashes of my new exacto-knife.

Cutting up the paper the way I did, my fist clutching the handle of the knife like an assassin's dagger, reminded me uncomfortably of an A&E documentary I once saw about Michael Alig, wherein he explains how he injected a drug dealer full of Drano and proceeded to dismember the corpse.

On a note that is, at this point, secondary to how much I enjoy tooting my own horn: I was glad that Joe liked the card.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I don't have a picture of the card I made, but this is the motif I used to make the cutout. I imagine I'll get a picture up soon, but know that the product emulates the above to the hairs on his chinny-chin-chin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Azulet said...

That's damn impressive. You go Byron!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home