Thursday, February 02, 2006

Blogspot, even thinner than the Razr.

When I removed the iPod from my bag, flipped off the lock and pressed play, I expected a melody, or at least, pre-intro-static. Instead, what I heard was nothing more than the continued droning of early evening Little Italy. Fiddling with the locking switch for a few seconds, it dawned on me that my iPod was stuck in its own dream world, completely unaware of external command. In a way, looking at its screen was not unlike gazing into the eyes of a man with irreparable shell-shock. He understands your presence, but cannot respond in any way. Should my iPod fail to respond before its batteries die, I will have no choice but to give it up to God--cause of death: Strokes, The.

Wandering up 2nd Avenue alone and with no distraction, I am forced to concede that the magic of New York is all but gone. Passing a Wendy's, I remembered my first meal as an NYU student with Trevor. I looked down 15th Street and saw the playhouse where Leigh and I attended opening night of Yeardly Smith's one-woman retrospective on her dual roles as bulimic and as Lisa Simpson.

I have a tendency to romanticize the past. I am like one of Walter Benjamin's rear-facing Angels of History. In addition though, I am not only wearing rose-tinted glasses, but am drunk and stoned as well. Compared to yester-year, how can the present day ever compete? As for the magic of New York, regaining it would require a complete paradigm shift on my part or, failing that, a shitload of money.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well it's totally apparent to me that you bored your ipod to death by trying to play the strokes on it. besides, ipods are pieces of shit anyway.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home